"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Powered By Blogger

One of Salem Oregon's Unofficial Top 1000 Conservative Political Bloggers!!!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Pics of the Pro-Gun Rights Rally in Salem OR. January 19, 2013


All of us were right out on the steps of the capitol and the crowd overflowed out across the street. My wife and I arrived about half-an-hour after the rally began, but there were still a lot of people there despite the cold. Both, my wife and I are both pretty bad at estimating crowds, but we both thought there were at least 500 people attending.

The crowd had a very positive feeling about it. People were obviously upset about the recent attacks on the 2nd Amendment and their rights to keep and bear arms, but no one was out-of-control, unreasonable, nor angry. My wife is black, and she, of course, received no ill-treatment of any sort. Not even a questionable look.

I saw only one counter-protester there, although I read on somebody's Facebook page that there were a few more. They must have left early, because I only saw the one and I went through the rally pretty thoroughly. The weather was pretty cold, the temperature hovering around 32 F with freezing fog conditions. But there was no rain!

Click on the pics below to enlarge.



The speakers at the rally were to the right of the white box truck


Lots of people braving the cold out there on Saturday.


Many of the ralliers were ladies. I would guess that least a 1/3 of the crowd were women. Maybe more.

The woman with the dog was the lone anti-gun protester that I saw. There were supposed to have been more there, earlier but they must have left before I arrived. It was very pretty chilly out.
 
The anti-gun protester has a polite debate with pro-gun rights rallier. I was listening to the speakers more than their debate, but I didn't hear any raised voices nor name calling. It seemed quite civil and polite.

I appreciated the passage from the Oregon State Constitution that this man had printed up on his sign. It reads: "The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defense of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power."


This was the overflow from the capitol's steps across the street. Most of the cars passing by were honking with support while giving everyone the thumbs up.



My favorite sign. When will people realize that "Gun Free Zones" are completely ineffective against some violent person intent on shooting a bunch of people?


The state police were there (blue uniforms and trooper hats) and were just finished having a conversation about pistol calibers with the two guys in the coats. Oddly (sarc.), a lot of police officers are part of the dreaded gun culture that the Left so despises.


I haven't blacked out any signs. The large rectangular black things in the middle of the pic are speakers.


And this is the where the rally took place two hours afterwards. Notice how clean it is.

Still clean.

It's almost like these people took pride in their state's capitol.




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Fuzzy. It was a very positive rally and crowd. I was impressed that so many people in Oregon showed up in freezing fog conditions.

      Delete